Established in 2015, TAP is designed to help Toronto Region businesses develop and activate a market entry strategy to a new market they wish to enter or an existing market they wish to expand in. Some highlights about the program:
- Requires your 4 full days’ participation over 6 weeks (2 days for workshop, 1 day for export plan, and 1 day for mentoring)
- The program cost is CAD 5,000, however, generous support from their partners will allow them to reduce this fee. Talk to them about how they can help lower the cost.
- The program leverages expertise and resources from a vast network of program partners and sponsors including but not limited to Export Development Canada (EDC), Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC), Royal Bank of Canada (RBC), United Parcel Services (UPS), Global Affairs Canada (Trade Commissioner Services), Ontario Ministry Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA), Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade (MEDJCT), City of Toronto, RICHTER LLP (Tax & Accounting), Fragomen International (Immigration Law) and Civis Law (Contract Law), Hyphen Co. & MMK Marketing (Marketing Services).
- Around 500 participants graduated from the program over the past 3 years across Canada. TAP Grads increased Export sales by 18%, 47% have hired staff devoted to export activities and opened up 2 new markets on average after attending our program.
TAP Program Overview:
The program takes place over the course of 6 weeks requiring 4 full days of participation to deliver a finalised Strategic Export Business Plan assessed and mentored by our industry leading partners and sponsors. Consisting of a Two-day Workshop covering all the basic knowledge needed to support companies growing globally. Presentations, workshops and case studies include: Financial/Banking, Accounting, Grants/Government Assistance, International Sales/Marketing with the Export Plan Day following just over a week to work hands-on with the group of companies to develop their export plan and the final Mentoring Day taking place 4 weeks later, where the export plan is presented and reviewed by the mentors in 1-on-1 setting.
The upcoming cohort dates for the Food & Beverage Sector are indicated below:
Two-Day Seminar – February 12-13
Export Plan Day – February 20
Mentoring Day – March 17
Commitment & Cost:
The cost of the program is $5000 and bursaries of $4005 are available for companies nominated through our sponsors and partners, given you commit to the following:
- Submit your TAP Online Application and payment
- 2 senior executives attending the 4 days mentioned below. (due to the intensity of the program and the depth of strategic work involved, we strongly recommend two executives from the same company attend).
- Submit a completed export plan by the end of the TAP program. (our team of international trade specialists will work with you to get this done as it is one of the main objectives of this program).
- Complete short bi-annual surveys to help us track your company’s progress for 5 years after finishing the TAP program
Companies can participate in TAP via partner nomination or direct application. All applications are reviewed by the TAP team to ensure the program is a good fit and allow participants to maximize its benefits.
- The program fee is $5,000 per company; however, generous support from their sponsors/partners will allow them to reduce this fee. Talk to them about how they can help lower the cost.
- Full details and upcoming dates for the year 2019 are available online at tapgta.ca, as well the TAP Online Application form.
Nomination Period & Eligibility Guidelines:
The nomination period for company intake for the next TAP cohort is open as we have workshops taking place on a regular basis. Nominated companies should have the following criteria:
- Generates a minimum of $500k in annual revenue;
- Has been operating for two years;
- Is already exporting a product or service, but wishes to diversify its export markets – OR – Has taken exploratory steps to start exporting;
- Has a product or service with a strong competitive advantage as a result of quality or patent protection;
- The company can be located anywhere in Ontario, not limited to the Greater Toronto Region.